[DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS] Instant pot chicken tacos will excite you about eating more nutritiously, especially if you’re…
Buffalo chicken tacos will blow your mind with its simple preparation yet complex flavors, tastes and textures.
Gain a sense of accomplishment when you and your family are delighted by dinner (just look at those colors!), PLUS it’s a nutrient-dense, well-balanced meal!
My picky son put cabbage on his taco.
Typically he wouldn’t touch that with a 10-foot pole but he got so into building his tacos, he forgot to be picky!
chicken buffalo tacos—anything but boring
Do you think that eating healthy means having a dry, grilled chicken breast, steam broccoli (plain) and dry sweet potato for dinner? That’s what I thought “healthy” eating had to be for a long time.
I thought I’d never eat anything “fun” again. It was depressing.
There was another time in my life where I made a change and was convinced I’d never have any fun again—
when I stopped drinking.
I’ve never been more happy to be WRONG.
When we decide to change destructive behaviors, often we assume the outcome will be worse than what we’re currently living. We need to remind ourselves that there’s a reason we’re changing—
What we’re current doing isn’t that good!
If you’re struggling to eat more healthy or break food addictions, don’t assume you’re destined to a life of dried chicken breast that drops like a hockey puck on a plate.
Look at these buffalo tacos—look at the colors and textures! Look at the creamy dressing (yes, you can have dressings—they can be healthy too)!!!
These are the types of meals that get me so freakin’ excited because they are such a pleasure to eat PLUS their nutrition provides energy, helps digestion, reduces cravings and allows me to appreciate food!
This is what I want to share with YOU!!
These buffalo chicken tacos have juicy, tender, shredded chicken with crisped edges in a buffalo sauce that has perfect spice and heat. Pair that with tangy, sweet lime ranch dressing, crispy, fresh cabbage shreds and soft, mild avocado. All of this is neatly (or not so) packaged in a tortilla of your choice (and I have lots of tortilla options below, depending on your diet)!
You don’t even need a tortilla, this chicken and dressing works wonderfully on a bed of crisp, fresh greens!
can I make buffalo chicken tacos low carb or grain free?
Yes! There are many low carb or grain free options. Here are some suggestions to serve these tacos on:
- lettuce leaves (Bibb or butter lettuce works best) or a whole roasted pepper
- cassava or almond flour tortillas
- brown rice tortillas (obviously these are grain but a gluten-free option)
- Ezekial sprouted grain tortillas
- a salad or bowl with cauliflower rice or beans
Note, I love to use these alternative tortillas which can be found on amazon or in the organic freezer isle of most grocery stores. Since these are frozen (and also don’t have a TON of flavor), I LOVE to brown them before serving.
To brown tortillas:
- Heat a skillet on medium heat
- Brush both sides of each tortilla. Sprinkle salt, pepper and/or garlic powder.
- Lay the tortilla on the skillet and cook on each side for a couple minutes (until nicely browned).
- Once you take it out of the pan, I fold it while it’s still pliable from the heat.
how to make buffalo chicken tacos
I get so pumped by how easy these are!
- Place chicken thighs in instant pot.
- Add seasoning and Buffalo sauce. Cook 15 minutes with 5-10 natural release.
- Spread on sheet tray and broil.
- Combine lime ranch ingredients and blend in food processor or blender.
- Boom, you’re done!
While chicken is cooking, go nuts slicing, dicing and shredding cabbage, lettuce, avocado, onions. Also, make the lime ranch dressing.
You can make the lime ranch dressing days ahead of time if you like (It gets more flavorful because flavors have had time to meld together).
FUN TIP: Slice, dice and/or shred extra veggies so you can store and add them to eggs or salads quickly!
what to put on buffalo chicken tacos
One of the things that I love about tacos or fajitas is the opportunity to get creative! Because this buffalo chicken taco recipe already has bold flavor with the buffalo sauce and ranch, I find that it’s not necessary to add much more. Some suggestions:
- smashed avocado or bacon guacamole
- shredded cheese
- julienne carrots (love the orange pop of color!)
- mango salsa
- diced peppers or onions
- pickled onions
- shredded cabbage or lettuce
what to serve with buffalo chicken tacos
I typically serve buffalo chicken tacos with a side salad or veggie. You could also make bacon guacamole and serve with tortilla chips.
how to store buffalo chicken tacos
Buffalo chicken makes great leftovers. I often make a double batch so that everyone can have tacos for lunch the next day. Any leftover meat can also be used in sandwiches, as a pizza topping, or on a salad.
can I use chicken breasts for buffalo chicken tacos
Stick to thighs if you can because the white meat from the breasts tends to dry out. I’ve done a mix of thighs and breasts before and that turned out well.
how to make buffalo chicken tacos in the crock pot
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can make these in the crock pot. Place your chicken thighs, buffalo sauce and seasoning in a crock pot and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. Once it’s fork-tender, shred the chicken and then place on a sheet tray to broil (see instructions).
are buffalo chicken tacos paleo, whole30 or keto?
Yes, you can certainly make them to be compliant with all of the above. Use approved condiments for these diets which are suggested in the notes recipe section.
Also, stick with one of the grain-free options mentioned above for your tortillas.
other paleo or whole30 meals you’ll love:
- beef lo mein (paleo, keto, whole30 variations)
- shrimp tacos with spicy lime slaw
- sesame chicken with “fried” cauliflower rice
- sloppy joes on crispy sweet potatoes with pickled onions
- steak fajita stuffed sweet potatoes
and for dessert…
- scrumptious low carb chocolate cake
- dairy-free cheesecake with chocolate ganache
- skillet cinnamon apples with orange cream sauce
- homemade twix bars (keto, GF)
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment and let me know how it was! I’d love to hear from you!
This recipe was adapted from Pinch of Yum. Another site that always proves healthy eating can be fun!Print
These buffalo chicken tacos have juicy, tender, shredded chicken with crisped edges in a buffalo sauce that has just enough spice and heat. Pair that with a tangy, sweet lime ranch dressing, crispy, fresh cabbage shreds and soft, mild avocado.
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce*
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise*
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey (Keto/W30 options below)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne (based on preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- shredded cabbage
- Place the chicken thighs, onion powder, salt, pepper and buffalo sauce in the Instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes then natural release for 5-10 minutes. Shred the chicken with 2 forks when it is done. Transfer the shredded chicken and sauce to a baking sheet. Broil for 10-15 minutes until it is brown & crispy.
- To make the ranch, combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Suggestions on how to assemble tacos: place mashed avocado, shredded cabbage on a tortilla. Top with chicken and drizzle lime ranch over top.
- *I love Primal Kitchen’s avocado mayo made with avocado oil. Paleo, Whole30 and Keto friendly.
- *I use The new Primal buffalo sauce which has 0 sugar which makes it Paleo, Whole30 and Keto friendly.
- Instead of honey use date paste for Whole30 and a low-carb sweetener for Keto.
- For Isagenix strict 30 compliance, use the Paleo & Whole30 recommendations.
Nutrition facts based on 4 servings.
Keywords: buffalo chicken, instant pot buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken tacos