This low carb chocolate cake will reassure you that you do NOT have to sacrifice…
This cinnamon crumb cake was so surprising! I wouldn’t have guessed that it was grain and sugar free. The cake is fluffy and moist with a sweet, crunchy, cinnamon sugar center. Does it get better than that?
My sister was recently diagnosed with lyme and is on an ultra-restrictive diet (no sugar, grains, fruits). Her doctor had given her some approved recipes, like this one. After I made it for her, I was thrilled that it would be a nice healthy indulgence! She thoroughly enjoys eating it for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee!
how to make cinnamon crumb cake
The first step is making the crumb center. Do this by putting walnuts, sweetener, cinnamon and butter in a food processor. Pulse until mix is combined.
The batter uses almond flour which makes it grain free and reduces carbohydrates greatly. I don’t eliminate carbs completely from my diet, in fact, I think high fiber grains are essential. However, I do try and eliminate white flour and almond flour is the perfect substitute in the recipe.
Once the cake batter is made, spread a very thin layer on the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. I used an icing spatula to even it out. Once the thin layer is down, spread the crumble on top, covering the entire area.
Lastly, carefully spread the remaining batter over the crumb topping.
Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee!! If you like this, try my quinoa granola with oats!Print
This low carb, low calorie cinnamon crumb cake is perfect for breakfasts, snacks or dessert! Enjoy the sweet, cinnamon crumble layered in a soft vanilla cake!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup xylitol
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract (optional)
Cinnamon walnut filling
- Place chopped walnuts, sweeteners and cinnamon in a food processor and process until smooth. Add butter or coconut oil and mix until coated.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix dry ingredients and sweetener in large mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs, coconut oil or butter in another bowl. Add vanilla extract and lemon extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan with coconut oil or butter.
- Pour one half of the cake batter into the pan and smooth into an even layer. Crumble the walnut filling evenly over the batter. Carefully place the rest of the batter on top of the filling gently smoothing it without disturbing the filling.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cut into 12 or 16 pieces.
Keywords: crumb cake, cinnamon crumb, cinnamon crumb cake