Easy lemon bars have a sweetness that will delight you minus the heavy, bloated feeling…
Keto lemon bars bridge the gap between a satisfying sweet treat and keeping your healthy eating habits on track. Indulge in the tang of lemon and richness of cream cheese without any added sugar—they’re gluten free too!
There is a big difference between these keto lemon bars, made with whole food ingredients, and a pack of Oreo’s made with highly processed sugars that go directly into our bloodstream and drive us to eat until we’re sick.
These keto lemon bars will taste like a decadent treat but are very light and will leave you feeling like your sweet tooth has been satisfied!
how to make keto lemon bars
The crust is made with almond flour which is a high-protein, low carb, nutrient dense alternative to processed white flour. My favorite brands are Bob’s Red Mill and Anthony’s.
To sweeten the bars, I use erythritol. Erythritol is a mild sugar alcohol with a glycemic index of 0. It tastes and bakes like confectioner’s sugar, and really cuts down on the cooling effect that erythritol typically carries. My favorite brands are Swerve confectioners and Lakanto powdered.
To lighten the filling, I used a combination of cream cheese and plain Greek yogurt. This also increases the amount of protein.
how to bake keto lemon bars
When you bake these lemon bars, put a pan with water in the rack below the baking dish. The steam from the water helps the filling not crack.
Once these have cooked, let them cool on your counter. Once cooled, place them in the fridge to set further (couple of hours or overnight).
how to cut keto lemon bars
When you’re ready to cut them, it’s helpful to wipe off your knife with a paper towel in between cuts to keep the slices clean.
can you freeze keto lemon bars?
Definitely. Wrap them tight so no air gets in. I typically use a combination of press & wrap and aluminum foil. Take them out of the freezer a day or so before you want to eat them and store them in the fridge. For faster thawing, leave them out on the counter for a couple of hours before putting them back in the fridge.
what to serve with lemon bars
To serve, I love to sift more powdered erythritol (Swerve, Lakanto or whatever low-carb powdered sweetener you have). Fresh berries would also be a wonderful compliment to these bars.
other keto-friendly desserts you’ll love
- gooey chocolate coconut caramel bars
- chocolate chip peanut butter bars
- homemade peanut butter cups (keto)
- best keto chocolate chip cookies
- the most amazing caramel cups (keto)
These are made with a buttery, almond flour crust and topped with a sweet, tangy filling made of cream cheese, greek yogurt and, of course, lemons!
For the crust:
- 1 cup (96 g) almond flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted (can substitute coconut oil)*
For the filling:
- 6 oz. light cream cheese
- 5.3 oz. plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners sweetener of choice (I use Swerve confectioners)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (approx. 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (approx. 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 pan with parchment.
- Mix together the almond flour, cinnamon, salt and butter. Sprinkle into prepared pan. Using your fingers or a spatula to press dough into an even layer, covering the bottom.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Put aside cool.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese with a hand held or stand mixer until smooth (about 1 minute). Beat in yogurt until combined. Then add eggs and egg yolk until combined. Lastly beat in swerve, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract and mix until no lumps appear.
- Pour filling into the crust.
- Fill a large pan halfway with water and put it on the oven’s lower rack. Place the lemon bars in the oven in the rack above the water* and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center of the bars no longer jiggle.
- Allow bars to cool at room temp on wire rack and then transfer to refrigerator to chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, lift the foil out of pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into squares, wiping the knife blade with a paper towel after each cut.
- Store in refrigerator.
- *Adding a pan of water directly below the bars while cooking creates steam so that the bars have a nice smooth top and don’t split.
- Grass-fed butter gives you more omega-3s, essential to your diet, so I recommend that if it’s available.
Keywords: keto lemon bars, lemon bars, low-carb lemon bars, keto dessert