These mouth-watering homemade croutons will make your entire house smell amazing! There’s nothing better than garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs wafting through the air which is what happens when you make these croutons!
Why homemade croutons?
Croutons are great to add on soups and salads, like our caprese salad with homemade croutons. However, I like to control the bread and seasonings used to ensure we’re getting some nutrients around here!
Not to mention, the fam can’t keep their hands out of them once they come out of the oven. They are always a hit!
Bread for homemade croutons
I lean towards multi-grains so less processed, white flour and more healthy grains and seeds.
I just grab whatever looks good at the store that day.
This is also a great way to use up older breads, hamburger or hot dog buns you may have lying around.
Seasoning the croutons
You can use as much or as little seasoning as you like! You can’t go wrong. These are delicious with simply olive oil and sea salt.
However, if you want to jazz it up, throw in herbs and spices. Some of my faves to add are basil, rosemary, thyme, chives, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes. I tend to use fresh herbs but dry will work too.
Putting it all together
I typically tear the bread into bite-size pieces because it adds a rustic flare. (This is me going wild and crazy). Add the bread to a bowl and sprinkle the olive oil over them. Next add the salt and whatever herbs and spices you want to use. After adding the seasoning, make sure you taste and adjust accordingly (and continue to do so until you get them just right).Print
- Loaf of rustic bread (multigrain, seeded, Italian, French)
- 1–2 tablespoons of olive oil (use more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (use more if needed)
- Herbs or spices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Tear or cut the bread into bite-size pieces or cubes.
- Toss the bread with olive oil, sea salt and herbs or spices.
- Place on a tray and cook for 8-10 minutes. Toss them about 1/2 to ensure they’re crispy on all sides. Once done they should be crispy on the outside but soft in the middle.
- Take them out and place on cooling rack.
- Store in a sealed, plastic container.