Fudgy brownies with peppermint and chocolate ganache may seem sinful because they are so richly decadent however their whole food ingredients remove the guilt!
These chewy, gooey fudgy brownies have hints of cool peppermint and are smeared with a luscious, creamy chocolate ganache!
Even better, these beauties are keto-friendly, grain & gluten-free and no sugar. That may sound too good to be true so try them and see for yourself!
Are fudgy brownies chewy?
Chewy brownies have a chewy outer crust with a rich chocolate center. Fudgy brownies are slightly under-baked so they are very gooey and dense. These are for true chocoholics.
What makes brownies fudgy versus cakey?
Cakey brownies are less dense and more airy. Often an egg white is added to cakey brownies to create the flakey crust, as well as milk so it’s more like a classic cake recipe. They also use more flour and baking powder to help them rise.
How to make fudgy brownies
The first step will be to melt the fat and chocolate (in microwave or double-boiler). For the fat, I used a combination of grass-fed unsalted butter and coconut oil. I’ve made these with all of one or the other⏤they’ve been great so feel free to use all butter or coconut oil.
As always, I use Lily’s dark chocolate chips.
Beat the eggs and sweetener with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow, 2 to 3 minutes.
For the sweetener, my first choice is Lakanto’s new baking sweetener. Other sweeteners that work well are Lakanto classic or Swerve granular. Of course, you could use white sugar if you are not trying to reduce carbs.
Next you’ll add the vanilla and peppermint extract and dry ingredients.
Beat until well-combined. Pour in parchment-lined 8×8 pan. The batter will be thick (and possibly sticky). I’ve found an inverted spatula is helpful for spreading!
The chocolate ganache is very easy to make. You can make this when the brownies have come out of the oven and have cooled. Simply heat the coconut milk in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (or in double-boiler) and pour over the dark chocolate chips. Whisk until combined and pour over cooled brownies.
The brownies should chill in the fridge for an hour to set. Once set, you can keep in fridge or leave out (make sure you seal well because the air can discolor the chocolate topping slightly).
Other keto desserts that you’ll enjoy:Print
These fudgy brownies with peppermint are decadent and rich! The perfect brownie texture with a thick, chocolatey ganache poured on top. Low-carb, gluten and grain free.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter*
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil*
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or unsweetened chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sweetener (I used Lakanto baking sweetener – see notes for subs)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the ganache
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease an 8×8” square pan and set aside. (You can also line it with parchment paper for easy removal if you like)
- In a small bowl, stir together sifted cocoa powder, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe container or over the stovetop, melt butter (or coconut oil) and chocolate chips together and stir until smooth and glossy. If microwaving, cook in 30 second intervals so you don’t burn chocolate.
- Add eggs to the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment and beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. The eggs will be pale yellow, thicker and frothy. (You can also beat for 60 seconds with a hand-held mixer)
- Add sweetener to the bowl of your standing mixer and beat on medium-high speed for an additional 1 minute. The mixture will be a little thick. (You can also beat for 60 seconds with a hand-held mixer)
- Add the melted butter/chocolate mixture, vanilla and peppermint extract and beat until combined.
- Add dry mixture and beat until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake in your preheated oven for 18-24 minutes, or until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with wet crumbs!
- Cool completely on rack.
For the ganache:
- Place the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the coconut milk for 20 to 30 seconds until the microwave until bubbling. Pour over the dark chocolate and let sit for 1 minute before stirring until smooth. Spread evenly over the cooled brownies.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until the ganache is set before cutting into 16 equal squares with a very sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
- *For dairy-free, use 6 tablespoons of coconut oil and no butter.
- I use Lily’s dark chocolate chips but any will work.
- I love Lakanto’s new baking sweetener because it doesn’t dry out as much as other sweeteners. If you don’t have that, feel free to use erythritol (Swerve, lakanto) sugar, coconut sugar, or any preferred sweetener.
Keywords: low carb brownies, keto brownies, peppermint brownies, brownies chocolate ganache