I know this is going to sound cliche but I will write it anyway, this…
Bacon cheeseburger soup is a dish your entire family will love! Who doesn’t like bacon cheeseburgers? This recipe has the same taste but served as a hearty soup.
This cheeseburger soup will satisfy and delight without the feeling that you just ate a ton of bricks (like a bacon cheeseburger and fries)!
You’ll love the seasoned ground beef, sautéed sweet potatoes, onions and garlic and a cheesy dijon broth and you’ve got yourself a good time!
Then, there’s the bacon…
Any time I use bacon around here the crowd goes nuts. I guess that’s what happens when you live with all males??
substitutions for cheeseburger soup
I used pork bacon and 90% grass-fed ground beef however you could use turkey bacon and ground turkey.
For the mustard, go with your favorite. We like Gulden’s spicy brown mustard around here.
I used nutritional yeast which is dairy and gluten free and gives a nice cheese flavor. It also has many other nutrients in it like B12 and fiber. You could opt to forgo this and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on the top of the soup when serving.
how to make bacon cheeseburger soup
This is a quick, easy recipe! First, brown the ground beef and put it aside. I like to sprinkle sea salt, pepper and garlic powder on the meat beforehand.
Next, saute the onions, celery, sweet potatoes and garlic. You could substitute with white potatoes if you prefer.
This step takes about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 of the broth to the pan and continue to soften the veggies. Once the veggies are soft, it’s time to make the broth.
how to thicken cheeseburger soup
Add the tapioca flour to the other 1/2 of the broth and whisk so it’s thoroughly combined. This step ensures you don’t get clumps like you would if you added the flour directly to the pot.
Add the mustard, nutritional yeast and remaining broth/flour mixture to the pot. Add sea or kosher salt to taste. Continue to taste the flavor and add more or less mustard or nutritional yeast, based on your preference.
Finish with the almond or coconut milk. Serve with bacon pieces and parsley on top.
is cheeseburger soup keto-friendly?
Yes, but with some modifications to this recipe. First, omit the sweet potato. You can substitute with a low carb veggie like cauliflower.
Also, this recipe uses nutritional yeast to give it a cheese flavor that’s dairy free. For Keto, you can use your favorite cheese instead of nutritional yeast.
If you’d prefer to use a recipe, this post looks like a great Keto variation (I haven’t tried personally but always love her recipes)!
what goes with cheeseburger soup?
In addition to topping the soup with bacon and parsley, try adding diced red onions or dill pickles.
If you’re not avoiding dairy, you could top with grated cheese or sour cream.
Side salads are a great compliment to serve with bacon cheeseburger soup.
other paleo/whole30 dishes you’ll enjoy:
- slow cooker butternut squash soup
- sesame chicken with “fried” cauliflower rice
- sloppy joes on crispy sweet potatoes with pickled onions
- steak fajita stuffed sweet potatoes
- copycat Chick-fil-A sandwich
This soup is winter’s best next thing to a bacon cheeseburger! Seasoned beef, bacon, sautéed sweet potatoes and veggies with a cheesy, mustard broth. Easy!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato (approx. 2 cups), diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken bone broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1–2 tablespoon brown mustard or stone ground mustard (I used spicy brown mustard)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or arrowroot
- 6 slices of bacon (or turkey bacon), cooked
- 1 cup plain almond milk (or full-fat coconut milk)
- Heat beef in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally to evenly brown and break up lumps. Once cooked, remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pot. Add onions, celery, garlic and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions, celery, and mushrooms are soft and sweet potatoes are beginning to soften.
- Add 1 cup of the broth to the pot, stir and cover, lowering the heat to a simmer. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened. Meanwhile, whisk the tapioca into the remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth. Add this to the pot, along with cooked ground beef or turkey, nutritional yeast and mustard. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Once thick and bubbly, lower the heat to a simmer and add in the almond milk, salt, and pepper. Stir and continue to simmer on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon right before serving, leaving some out to garnish the soup as you serve. To serve, garnish with minced parsley or other fresh herbs, plus the remaining crumbled bacon. Enjoy!
Keywords: bacon cheeseburger soup, cheeseburger soup