I am a ribollita soup newbie and tried it for the first time a couple…
I know this is going to sound cliche but I will write it anyway, this vegan broccoli soup is like wrapping up in a cozy blanket! It’s silky and creamy and just warms your insides (which is helpful because I’m always cold in the winter)!
It has a fantastic broccoli flavor as well as a slight kick from the pepper (which I love but feel free to tone down) AND a slight cheesy taste from the nutritional yeast.
In addition to the phenomenal flave, it has soooo many nutrients! Obviously everything you get from the veggies, plus those which you get from the nutritional yeast and collagen peptides!
why I love vegetable based soups
I always have soups like this vegan broccoli soup in the fridge during the winter for many reasons!
- It’s easy! It’s great to have on hand when you are tired and don’t feel like cooking a veggie for dinner!
- It’s a fantastic snack, especially with the addition of protein.
- You can load it up with extra nutrients. You’re throwing everything in a blender so why not load it up with collagen, nutritional yeast, fresh spinach, chia, flax seeds or whatever you may be lacking!
what is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is a vegan-friendly food that adds a slight cheesy flavor. It can be added to soups, pastas, or even popcorn. If you are trying to limit your dairy, it’s a great option!
It has many healthy benefits because it is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and high-quality protein.
topping suggestions for vegan broccoli soup
Don’t you just love the texture of something crunchy on top of a smooth soup? Here are some fantastic ideas to top off this broccoli deliciousness:
- Crispy parmesan chickpeas – shown in picture. Bonus: they add protein!
- Parmesan whisps – crunchy parmesan wafers that are high in protein. YUMMM!
- Almonds – a handful of chopped almonds is an easy topper!
- Ground black pepper – there is already pepper in the soup but I like a little extra – it pairs wonderfully with the broccoli!
- A spoonful of cream or coconut milk!
Make a batch of this silky, creamy vegan broccoli soup and enjoy it all week long! It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals and protein! Also, dairy-free and low-carb. This soup makes a fantastic snack or easy side dish for weeknight meals!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1–2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4–5 carrots, chopped
- 2–3 cups broccoli florets
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1–1 1/2teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2–1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional – see notes)
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mirepoix and garlic. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, vegetable broth, almond milk and collagen. Simmer until bubbly and broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Use blender or immersion blender to blend soup to desired consistency. If you used a blender, return to pot and add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust and serve!
- Collagen is a structural protein that acts as a building block for healthy skin, bones, joints and connective tissues. The powder has no taste so I love throwing it in soups! I use Vital Proteins.
- Nutritional yeast is not necessary for texture, but it adds a yummy, salty, cheesy flavor and some extra vitamins, too.
- If the blended soup looks too thick for you, just add an additional 1/2 cup or so of liquid.
- Nutrition facts based on 5 servings and includes nutritional yeast and collagen.
- This recipe was adapted from Pinch of Yum.
Keywords: broccoli soup, cream broccoli soup