Low carb apple cake will give you all the pleasures of eating cake without the heavy, dense feeling.
This soft and tender low carb apple cake, similar to Jewish apple cake, is packed with market fresh apples and coated with warm, sweetened cinnamon. Perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert.
how to make low carb apple cake
You can use any combination of apples you like. I enjoy using a variety of apples. You could use apples that are more sweet like Honey crisp or Fuji or those that are more tart like Granny smith, Pink Lady, Braeburn, McIntosh, Jonathan, Empire, and Cortland.
Start by peeling and slicing the apples. Place them in a bowl with cinnamon and lemon juice. Combine so all apples are coated.
Next, prepare the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. For the flour I used almond flour. My favorite brands are Bob’s Red Mill or Anthony’s almond flour because it’s very fine. I’ve found some brands of almond flour to be a tad more course and therefore, the cake is a more dense.
I like xylitol because it contains 40% less calories than sugar, plus it doesn’t spike your blood sugar levels.
Combine the wet ingredients. Beat the melted coconut oil (ghee or butter), eggs, vanilla and almond milk in a small bowl. Add these wet ingredients to the dry mixture and then fold in the cinnamon apples. Place batter in pan and cook for about 45 minutes (until toothpick comes out clear).
can you freeze low carb apple cake?
Yes, to freeze apple cake, let it cool completely. Wrap in two layers of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil or place in a zip top freezer bag. Apple Cake can stay in the freezer for 12 months and can be thawed and served at room temperature.
how long will low carb apple cake keep?
Apple cake will stay fresh, tightly wrapped, for 3-4 days.
other low carb recipes you’ll enjoy:
- pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting
- keto lemon bars
- homemade twix bars (keto, GF)
- the most amazing caramel cups (keto)
- peppermint fudge brownies with chocolate ganache
other apple recipes you’ll enjoy:Print
Everything you love about fall in one recipe! Enjoy the warmth of the cinnamon, the sweetness of the apples and slight hints of lemon. Low carb, grain & sugar free!
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced (I used granny smith)
- juice of 1 lemon (1/2 of an orange would work too)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup xylitol or erythritol
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line a 9×9 pan (or 11 x 7) with parchment paper.
- Combine sliced apples, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs, coconut oil or butter, vanilla and almond milk in another bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Fold in apples.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Cut into 12 or 16 pieces.
Keywords: apple cake, cinnamon apple cake, apple crumb cake