This salad with apples and sweet sesame dressing will remind you just how delightful and…
This taco salad with lime ranch dressing will have your whole family raving, and you can feel good knowing it’s loaded with healthy fats, carbs, proteins, fiber, and other nutrients.
You can also give options: some members of the fam may want the taco meat and dressing over a salad while others throw it in a taco shell. Everyone’s happy!
This taco salad has the most flavorful Mexican seasoned beef (or turkey) piled high over fresh lettuce, tomato, avocado, and grilled veggies, topped off with a sweet, tangy lime ranch dressing.
can taco salad be healthy?
Absolutely. This taco salad is very healthy, high in protein, healthy fats, and no sugar. I’ve replaced cheese and sour cream with a lime ranch dressing, which adds fantastic flavor. Also, if you’re missing tortilla chips on your salad, I have an excellent option for you!
is taco salad keto?
Yes, everything in this salad is keto-friendly. Check the nutrition facts on the nacho chips if you add them – they don’t have a lot of carbs but maybe more then recommended on keto.
what’s in taco salad?
I made this shortly after I made the avocado salad with charred veggies and grilled chicken, which ended up being very efficient. When I made the avocado salad, I grilled many more veggies than I needed, so it was a great option to throw the grilled veggies into this taco salad. Grilling the veggies takes the flavor up a notch!
Here are additional suggestions to put in your salad:
- black beans
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- salsa (try sweet & spicy mango salsa)
- garlic cloves
- green chilis
- guacamole (try bacon guacamole)
what is taco salad dressing?
The dressing for this salad is so flavorful! It’s creamy and light with hints of lime, cayenne and honey.
The base is mayo, and I love to use Primal Kitchen’s avocado mayo made with avocado oil. This mayo is Paleo, W30, and Keto friendly. If you don’t want to use mayo, sour cream works well too. You can use regular or a dairy-free sour cream like Kite Hill or Follow Your Heart.
how to make taco salad
This taco salad is a quick weeknight meal to add to your rotation! Start by sauteeing the ground beef or turkey until it’s finished. Add the spices and tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. While that’s cooking, make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender.
Gather your salad ingredients and add them to a big bowl or 4 individual bowls. Top the salad with the finished taco meat & dressing. Add cheese or crunched up tortilla chips (healthier options above).
other salads you’ll love:
- loaded burger bowls with special dressing
- salad with apples and sweet sesame dressing
- caprese salad with homemade croutons
other Keto/Paleo/Whole30 recipes you’ll love:
- avocado salad with charred veggies over grilled chicken
- easy chicken bruschetta
- sesame chicken with “fried” cauliflower rice
- steak fajita stuffed sweet potatoes
- keto chicken “sandwich” (copycat Chick-fil-A”)
notes & substitutes
- For the mayo, I use Primal Kitchen’s avocado mayo made with avocado oil. Paleo, Whole30, and Keto friendly. Instead of mayo, you could use regular or dairy-free sour cream (Kite Hill or Follow your Heart brands are great).
- Instead of honey, you can use date paste for Whole30 or Paleo. For Keto, substitute with a teaspoon of xylitol or erythritol.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories465
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 67mg 23%
- Sodium 461mg 20%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 28.6g 58%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.